Are you steadily looking for a work at home job and end up finding nothing suitable that you can apply to online? Did you miss out on the last work at home opportunity? Are you starting to wonder if working from home is really meant for you? If you find yourself nodding your head to some of the questions that were asked this may be the perfect time to consider starting your own blog or website. Instead of waiting for a company to hire you, you could start your own business with your very own blog or website and not have to work for anyone. If you think that blogging is not cut out for you or it is too much work, you may change your mind after you read this post.
First, what is a blog? A blog is simply a series of online posts that are chronicled and arranged by date. Anybody can start a blog on virtually any topic. Pick a subject that is dear to your heart or one that you have some expertise or experience in. Come up with a name for your blog and a title that will stand out. Here are some ideas for a blog.
- Mommy/parenting blog where you share ideas and advice about taking care of a newborn, raising children, fun activities, toys and anything else you can think of.
- Review blog. Start a blog on the latest or upcoming movies, TV shows, department stores, new products or appliances, As seen on TV items, perfume, books, electronics, etc. and what you thought about them.
- Celebrity/Gossip Blog. Chat about your favorite celebrities, what they are wearing, those on the rise or downfall, whose in trouble, who’s dating who and so forth.
- Recipe blog. Post your favorite recipes including deserts, appetizers, one pan dishes, soups, crockpot recipes, and meals on a budget on your blog. Take photos or make a video of how you prepare the meal to give your readers a visual.
- Online Store. Sell your own handmade items, crafts, designs, jewelry and so forth as an online store where visitors can view and purchase your products with the click of a mouse. Tip: Offer free shipping, include a free gift, or a money back guarantee to generate more sales.
- Make up blog. Share your favorite make up tips and tutorials on your blog. Give step by step tips in written format as well as in a video or in the form of photos so they can see and achieve the desire look.
- Decorating Blog. If you have a talent for decorating, start a blog about this and show some before and after pictures of a room you have designed or made over, how you updated some antique furniture, how you decorate your kitchen table for entertaining and everything else in between.
- Bargain/Coupon Blog. Everybody is always looking for a bargain. If you are good at finding deals, coupons, discounts and even freebies, share where you found them on your blog.
- Social Media. Do you know any secrets or tips to help people get more followers on Twitter or can you teach someone how to effectively use social media to market themselves or their company or brand? Start a blog about this topic and the latest tools that they can utilize to understand how social media works.
- Techie Blog. If you are good at fixing computer errors and applications on the computer, you can start a blog about all the technical aspects of computers and computer software programs.
As you can see, there are multiple areas that you can delve into and center your blog around. You just have to figure out what topic(s) interest you the most. Once you have decided on a topic for your blog, you can pretty much start writing content.
Writing content is the part that some people choose to steer away from because they feel that it is too much work. But is that really true? Not necessarily. You are in control of how much and when you write posts on your blog. Some bloggers write a post a week, 3 times a week, everyday, or just whenever they feel the urge to do so. If you know your subject well, you can write a post in just a few minutes. But if you are a person who likes to write a lot and enjoys this process, you may tend to write more. It just depends upon you. A lot of bloggers write part time and you could certainly do so as well. Starting out, you may tend to write more just to build up content on your blog but after that has been done, you can scale back on your writing and set a weekly schedule of when you want to publish and create posts online.
Of course, you may be wondering how much will I earn if I start my own blog and how does a blog make money anyway? The answer is through advertisers and affiliate companies. The amount of money that you will earn depends upon how much traffic you get to your blog. It is hard to put an exact number on how much you will earn because that number will continue to fluctuate depending upon your presence online. For some bloggers, their earnings continue to increase. For others, it may stay around the same ballpark or decrease a little if traffic slows down. The key to earning money is simple. Create quality content on a regular basis to keep your visitors interested and coming back for more.
So, are you ready to start your own blog? If you do, you will be embarking on a wonderful experience in your work at home journey. You may even decide that blogging is for you and make a career out of it. Blogger, Go Daddy and WordPress are popular sites that people use to set up their own blog or website.
If you are wondering how long it will take you to start earning money from your blog, please read this post that I wrote here where I explain how this works and my own experience.