In case you are not aware, a website tester is an Internet user who takes about 15-20 minutes of their time talking aloud as they navigate through a specific website. It sounds really easy and it is but just like with anything else, there are some simple things that you can do to improve your rating. Why would you want to do this? Because you will be selected to complete more tests that are available to the top testers which will help you to earn even more money. You will also be invited to complete mobile tests that pay $15 per test and receive a free webcam from Usertesting.
If you like to talk or enjoy browsing the web, this would be an idea way for you to make money online. Because it is so easy, all that is required is a computer (PC or MAC), broadband or high speed Internet and a microphone. If you are at least 18 and have access to a computer, you can be a website tester too. But even better than that, you can get a 5 star rating and make more money and this post will explain exactly how you can accomplish this.
Tips for being a Successful Website Tester for UserTesting
1. No distractions. Make sure that you have eliminated any background noise or other influences that could distract your attention away from the website when you are testing.
2. Check your volume. Be aware of the sound of your microphone. Make sure that it is not covered up so your voice will not sound muffled. You will also want to check it to ensure that it working properly and there is no static. The sound of your voice is critical when you are testing a website. Remember the company is paying to hear what you think and if your volume in not sufficient all of your hard work will be in vain.
If you need a good microphone, check out some of these affordable ones available on Amazon.
3. Have only one tab open. Before you test a website, close all your tabs. Try to keep them closed until you finish the test to avoid any popups or redirects while you are testing.
4. Refrain from multitasking. It is a good thing to be able to multitask but not when you are testing a website because you could be focused on other things instead of the test at hand. So putting something on the stove, having your smartphone next to you, or trying to plan your next getaway would probably be best accomplished after you complete a test.
5. Be honest. You have heard the saying, “Honesty is the best policy” and this is also true when it comes to giving your feedback when you are navigating through a site. Refrain from the tendency to tell them what you think they may want to hear. They need your honest feedback to make improvements, adjustments or possibly incorporate any future changes to make their website better. Think about it this way, if you were paying someone to visit and navigate around your website you would expect them to tell you what they really think. They expect the same from you.
6. Take your time. Try not to rush through a test because it could hurt your rating. It could appear to the company that you are not taking your job as a website tester very seriously. If they get that impression you may not get as many tests as you would have if simply took your time. Even if the test may be shorter than you expect, try to get as close to the time as you can and this will help you to stand out from other testers.
7. Give details. The more details your provide the better your test will be. You could talk about the colors, the layout and other features and how it impacted your navigation of the website whether it be good or bad.
8. Don’t be afraid to be negative. As long as your review was constructive, you are free to express things that you experienced or features that you may not have particularly liked about a certain website. Remember that the company will only benefit from your constructive criticism.
9. Avoid profanity. When you are testing, make sure that you use proper grammar and avoid slang phrases or words and especially profanity. Be professional and you will do fine.
10. Provide a summary. Your rating will definitely improve if you provide a summary of your findings and experience on a website in your test. This would be a great time for you to highlight some of their user-friendly features, what you liked the most or some that you disliked.
11. Read your instructions. Make sure that you read all of your instructions contained in the scenario of each test. If you follow and remember those as you complete a test, you will do well with this company.
If you take your assignment as a website tester seriously and eliminate any distractions you will be a successful website tester. The more that you test, the better you will get.
Before you complete your first test try this exercise. Practice visiting a new website for 15 to minutes and speak out loud as you navigate through the website so that you will be more comfortable when you test. There are some examples of a 5 star test that you can watch below so that you can have a better idea of how to be a successful tester for UserTesting.
If you haven’t signed up to be a paid website tester for UserTesting yet, you can do so here today! I also included a couple of sample tests from testers with a 5 star rating that you can watch below to give you a better idea of what it takes to be a successful website tester for UserTesting below.